How to Help Others Who Are Struggling with a Past Abortion
By Dr. David Reardon, Ph.D.
Here are some things you should and should not do when ministering to a person who is experiencing pain from their past abortion.
Deterrents to the Grieving Process after an Abortion
by Dr. Teri Reiser
1. There is no external evidence that a baby ever existed, so there is not proof that she was even pregnant. Her baby lives only in her heart and mind.
2. There is no formal leave-taking or ritual for the mother, such as a funeral, where friends and loved ones can acknowledge her loss and share her grief.
3. The woman may have no support system or a limited one because usually only a few people are told about the abortion(s). Or the people who encouraged her to abort don’t want to talk about it afterward. (“It’s done …… Get over it already!”)
4. Although abortion is legal, she is not given permission to grieve openly in society. She often suffers in secret.
5. The woman carries the guilt of ending her baby’s life. Many women can’t seem to forgive themselves; therefore, they live in pain and isolation.
6. If she shares what she did with a loved one, she may experience rejection, disapproval, anger, humiliation, and harsh judgment. The reaction to her deed may prove to be devastating, especially when she is already feeling guilty and alone.
7. At the time few professional counselors have been trained to take these women through the steps necessary for healing and reconciliation with God.
8. Many abortion advocates provide little education to prepare the women for the tremendous sense of loss they will feel after the abortion(s).
9. The grief cycle and its timing are different than with other types of losses. A woman may remain in a state of denial for years and postpone the grieving process.
This confidential Bible study helps men and women who have experienced the guilt and shame of an abortion(s) to find hope and healing through the study of God’s Word! God wants you to live a life full of joy. That joy is found through healing. Healing is a journey. There are men and women who are willing to walk this journey hand in hand with you! You are not alone! Step out in faith and see what God has in store for you!
Forgiven & Set Free is an 8 week Bible study for women.
Healing a Father's Heart is an 8 week Bible study for men.
There are a growing number of locations where Acts of Grace Ministries is being offered. Select the location that is closest to you for help with your needs or feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like more information on Post Abortion issues or need help locating a support center in your area please go to http://ramahinternational.org.
Her Choice to Heal by Sydna Masse
No One Told Me I Could Cry by Connie Nykiel (for teens)
Total Forgiveness by R. T. Kendall
Perdon (Total Forgiveness in Spanish) by R. T. Kendall
Boundaries by Henry Cloud and John Townsend
For more information visit our Recommend Resources page.